19 September 2008

this american life

Well, we've gone and made a big mess, haven't we.

It's slightly old but I think The Atlantic gives a great economic point of view here. It could be a good touchstone when thinking about how we got here. Which tends to be the question on everyone's mind.

I am not at all shocked by what is going on in the financial markets. But I don't gloat at Wall Street money whores losing their shirts because it affects us all. I do in large part blame Congress for the de-regulation of finance — and particularly looking the other way while hedge funders did just about whatever they wanted.

There is no such thing as a (sustainable) truly free market. This is what the uber-capitalists have wrought. The US is not an unshakable empire led by Jesus to rid the world of non-believers and make them all produce the stuff we toss into our garages. I guess it must have looked that way for a while.

We have to start producing something. We have to re-focus on education and teach the younglings about giving something of themselves to their communities.

I think people are going to slowly start to get it. They're gonna have to.