08 September 2005

garbage at the catalyst

So Garbage put on a pretty darn good show - much better than I expected. I am not much of a fan of theirs, but it's clear they've been together for ten years. They walked that fine line of being professional but still knowing how to rock. And some of the lyrics are surprisingly good. Shirley Manson is every inch the rock star. She knows how to dress, how to connect with an audience, and how to spit. In that order. The Scottish accent and the obvious tendency to consume whiskey don't hurt either.

It was apparently an all-ages show. There was only a small pen for the drinkers. We should have brought some other drugs or something. I insisted on getting as drunk as possible before joining the masses. I wish I'd gotten a picture of Shirley's outfit, but I didn't bring my phone. By the way, never bring your phone when you're planning on doing any amount of drinking. I've reached this conclusion from methodical experimentation. Carrying a mobile phone while going out carries the following risks:

1. Drunk dailing
2. Someone will ask to use it and will fail to give it back
3. You'll leave it on top of the toilet in the bathroom, and it'll be gone fifteen minutes later when you actually need it to call a cab
4. There will be an incoming call which you really shouldn't answer but in your state you'll answer it anyway. This conversation will last either 30 seconds or 30 minutes, and either way it will be bad

Anyway, at the Blue afterward, there was a gorgeous band with a CELLO. Can I say how much I love that? Favorite instrument. I have no idea who they were but they were hip in that mellow, not-trying-too-hard way. Sitting at the bar, there was this fratty looking guy (drinking a HAMM'S for fuck's sake) who looked over and tried to have some convo.

Frat Guy: Where do you usually party?
Me: Excuse me?
FG: Do you usually party here?
Me: Uh, sometimes.
FG: Are you a lesbian?
Me: What?
FG: Are you a lesbian?
Me: Ok. We're done here.
FG: Why?
Me: We're done.
FG: But I don't...

And he stumbled off to parts unknown.

And that, my friends, was my Wednesday night.