17 July 2004

washing of the water

According to the Hindus, King Bhagirathi prayed to the god Shiva in penance and was in turn given the gift of the goddess Ganga, delivered in the form of a river.

Many myths have come to be about the Ganges river - her most powerful attribute is that she can take on all the sins of the world. You can bathe in her waters and be cleansed. How small your sins must feel, being but one person of the universe, in the midst of such an encompassing lady who can hold all the sin and sadness of the world?

I too have a sacred river. I view my river as the purest place I can be; perhaps the most important thing about that is that I can see myself in it.

I did not accidentally fall into my river- I chose to go to her. Sometimes intention is the most important thing.

We all need a sacred river. To see the reflection, to see that purity in us. And to be cleansed.


So deep, so wide
Will you take me on your back
For a ride
If i should fall
Would you swallow me deep inside

Going away, away towards the sea
River deep, can you lift up and carry me
Oh roll on though the heartland
'Til the sun has left the sky
River, river carry me high
'Til the washing of the water make it all alright


-Peter Gabriel